Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ice Sculptures

Every year the city of Ottawa holds a winter festival called Winterlude. Now I have a secret to confess . . . I actually hate winter, it's something to be grudgingly tolerated not celebrated with a festival.

But I was downtown tonight so I checked it out. Part of the festival is an ice sculpting competition. I find ice sculpting an interesting art since it deals with a medium that's so ephemeral, the works last only a few weeks or less (depending on the weather) before they melt but I guess that somehow adds to their beauty. I had my camera on me so I snapped some pics of a few of the sculptures.


The entrance to the "Crystal Garden" at Confederation Park where the ice sculptures are on display.


An ice model of the Canadian Vimy Ridge War Memorial.


March of the Penguins


Water Goddess


I love the detail on the water in this one.

The International Walkway:


Moscow, Russia


China


Dome of the US Capitol in Washington, DC


Marvel Comics


Dragon


Mammoth


Mermaid


I peeked into the ice bar but not much was going on in the early-evening.


I didn't bring my skates tonight but this is the Rideau Canal, the world's longest skating rink (almost 5 miles long).

No comments:

Post a Comment