Thursday, January 11, 2007

Threatening Bank Letter

. . . Okay, maybe "threatening" is a tad melodramatic but still annoying nonetheless.

I have two main credit cards; a Mastercard (from Citibank) and a Visa (from Scotiabank). The MC is a Citibank Driver's Edge card so basically I get 1% back on all my purchases toward the purchase of my next vehicle. Ergo, I charge as much as I can to it and it is my card of choice.

I basically keep the Scotiabank Visa for "backup" and for the odd-place that only accepts Visa. I've also had the Visa card longer.

Anyway, I get a letter from Scotiabank today:

Since your No-Fee Scotiabank Value Visa card has been inactive for a while, we want to remind you of its many useful features and benefits . . . Please note that each year a $10.00 fee is charged to keep inactive accounts open. You can avoid this fee and rediscover your card's value and convenience simply by using it to make a purchase or cash advance within the next 60 days.

Um . . . if I'm not using your lame product maybe you should give me some incentive to; lower my interest rate, increase my interest-free grace-period, give me cash-back on my balance. Instead, they basically resort to threatening to charge me to keep the account open (which basically costs them nothing).

I realize $10.00 is nothing but out of principle, I think the concept of paying to pay is ridiculous, I refuse to do it. I may be cheap but does the bank honestly think this is a good business practice? They're basically trying to weed me out as customer because I don't have a massive credit debt on that account that they can make money off of.

Ugh, I'm done with this bank

No comments:

Post a Comment